If you would like me to write a reference letter, please get in touch with me at least 6 weeks prior to your first application deadline. In order to assess whether I will be able to write an informative letter, I need the following documents:
- statement of purpose
- list of places you are applying to.
Help with empirical term papers (“Kandidatuppsats”)
Over the years I have worked here at Handels, I have had many interesting and stimulating discussions with students who start out doing their own research and who are looking for feedback on their empirical research.
This has been a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about all the interesting topics that our students are working on and a great source of new insights about Econometrics and the teaching of Econometrics. In my efforts to continue having these discussions with our students I also have to recognize that the time that I have is limited.
Therefore, if you are a student looking for help with you empirical paper, please try to adhere to the following guidelines to ensure that we communicate efficiently:
- Provide a short summary of your research question and your empirical strategy. If you haven’t already decided on an empirical strategy I will not help you develop one.
- Write down 1-3 concise questions.
- Prepare well and research your questions thoroughly. I will not explain elementary concepts to you.
- I may be able to help you with specific statistical problems but I will not be able (and/or willing) to help you answer questions that are really questions about the economic environment that you are studying. This includes the question whether you can interpret your estimates causally (or equivalently whether your model satisfies an appropriate exogeneity assumption).
- I will not explain how to go about implementing a statistical method in Stata (or any other software), nor will I help you debug your code.